A unique professional and leadership development opportunity:
Leadership Incubator for Community Health Workers and Certified Peer Specialists
Applications now being accepted
What is the opportunity?
MACHW and The Transformation Center are pleased to announce the launch of the first-ever Leadership Incubator for Community Health Workers (CHW) and Certified Peer Specialists (CPS). This nine-month program was designed with input from CHWs and CPSs to help these distinct workforces build leadership and communication skills that strengthen and bring their unique contributions to an integrated care setting or system. Participants will connect in a learning collaborative for support and joint problem solving.
The purpose of this program is to enable CHW and CPS participants to develop the skills and competencies to thrive in primary care and community settings. The program has the following core objectives:
- To strengthen individual leadership;
- To enhance skills for working with clients/people supported*; and
- To strengthen the relationships within the organization and community
The overall structure of the program includes:
- Three in-person, full-day sessions
- Two ‘action periods’ between in-person meetings in which participants will build their training into practice. Each action period will be 3 months long, giving participants the opportunity to try new approaches at their workplace. A relevant webinar during the action period will reinforce new skills. Participants will have monthly check-in calls with a small Practice and Support group for learning and networking with participants and facilitators.
- Combined sessions in which CHWs and CPSs engage with each other, and separate CPS and CHW breakout opportunities for each profession to work with others in the same role
Who can apply?
The program organizers are committed to achieving demographic and geographic diversity in the selection of participants for the Leadership Incubator. Participants will be selected based on:
- Interest in strengthening one’s leadership as a CHW or CPS within health care and community services that serve low income and vulnerable people
- Ability to attend and participate in all three in-person learning sessions, monthly check-in calls, and webinars
- Support from your organization in the form of an Executive Sponsor who will encourage your growth
- Ability to work collaboratively and to respect diverse viewpoints
- Commitment to furthering health equity
How can I apply?
Applications are available for download on the MACHW website at https://machw.org/leadership-incubator-application/. Completed applications are due by 5pm on Friday, August 9, 2019. Selected Applicants and their Executive Sponsors will be notified by Monday, August 19, 2019.
Join us for an informational webinar.
For more information about this leadership program, please save the date for an informational webinar on Wednesday, July 10, 2019 from 12-1pm. A link to the webinar registration will be posted on this page and sent to our mailing list. For additional questions, please contact Lissette Blondet at [email protected].