In September 2010, Governor Patrick signed into law "An Act to Establish a Board of Certification of Community Health Workers" (Chapter 322 of the Acts of 2010). The law, which goes into effect in January 2012, creates a new board of certification of CHWs which will operate under the auspices of the Massachusetts Department of Public Health's Division of Health Professions Licensure.
Information related to CHW Certification Board:
Other helpful information:
- Research shows CHWs descrease health care costs and improve access and patient engagement. View factsheet.
- Policy brief summarizing CHW support for a certificate program
- MDPH Community Health Worker Advisory Council Report
Build relationships with your state legislators. Visit their local district office or their state house office. Tell them about your work as a community health worker and how you help improve the health of your community and their constituents.
- Click here to find out who represents you.
- Type in your home or work address
- Look for the last box on the next page that says "District Representatives"
- Click on the names of your senator and representative (next to Senator in General Court & Rep in General Court) to see their phone numbers.